SEATTLE – Seattle U men’s tennis finished their weekend of conference play with an early-morning matchup against Chicago State on Sunday. Although the Redhawks won the doubles point and played very well in singles, they ultimately fell to the Cougars, 4-3.
Freshman Billy Givens-Jensen posted a solid 6-4, 6-3 singles victory over Chicago State’s Nicholas Liddy in the number six spot. Junior Adrian Alvarez-Sanabria battled his way to a win of his own in a three-set nailbiter, finally triumphing 6-4, 5-7, 6-1. Classmate Alex Chan pushed himself to the limits against the Cougars’ Gonzalo Martinez, lasting through three sets and a tiebreaker before succumbing 4-6, 6-2, 6-7 (5-7); fellow junior Arshak Ghazaryan also brought his opponent to three sets in a 3-6, 6-2, 2-6 loss. Finally, sophomores Colton Weeldreyer (4-6, 3-6) and Emilio Monroy (5-6, 3-6) both battled hard, but were only just edged out at the end of their matches.
Doubles play featured two Seattle U wins, allowing the Redhawks to snag the doubles point. Ghazaryan and Weeldreyer posted a definitive 6-3 victory in the number one spot, followed by Monroy and Sanabria’s well-earned 6-4 win. Chan and Givens-Jensen (3-6) also gave their opponents a serious challenge, but the Cougars were able to avoid the sweep.
“We really competed hard today,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “I feel like singles could have gone either way – we had some very closely-contested sets. Now, it’s time to prepare for the championship.”
Seattle U gets a bit of a break before the culmination of their season: the Western Athletic Conference Championships, held this year in Brownsville, Texas. The tournament lasts from April 26-28.
Seattle U vs. Chicago State
April 14, 2019 at Seattle, Wash.
(Amy Yee Tennis Center)
Seattle U 3, Chicago State 4
1. Suler, Jakov (CSU) def. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Savard, Felix (CSU) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. Botha, George (CSU) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-5, 6-3
4. Martinez, Gonzalo (CSU) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) def. Wurzelbacher, Cody (CSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
6. Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) def. Liddy, Nicholas (CSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Savard, Felix/Suler, Jakov (CSU) 6-3
2. Martinez, Gonzalo/Botha, George (CSU) def. Chan, Alex/Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-3
3. Monroy, Emilio/Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) def. Liddy, Nicholas/Wurzelbacher, Cody (CSU) 6-4
Seattle U 4-12, 0-5 WAC
Chicago State 5-18, 2-3 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,5,2,4,6)