LAS CRUCES, N.M. – In their second match of conference play, Seattle U men’s tennis braved the cold and wet conditions of Las Cruces, N.M., to face UT Rio Grande Valley on a neutral court. In the end, the Vaqueros emerged victorious, 7-0.
Junior Alex Chan had the best singles match of the day for the Redhawks, taking UTRGV’s Clement Sarradin to three sets in a 7-5, 0-6, 8-10 loss. In the number one spot, sophomore Colton Weeldreyer (4-6, 2-6) fared well but was unable to overcome the onslaught of his opponent. Classmate Emilio Monroy gave his all in a 2-6, 1-6 defeat, while juniors Adrian Alvarez-Sanabria (0-6, 2-6) and Arshak Ghazaryan (0-6, 1-6) started to pick up steam in the second set but ultimately fell. Finally, freshman Billy Givens-Jensen (0-6, 0-6) picked up some more conference experience to round out the Seattle U lineup.
In doubles, the Redhawks played valiantly but were unable to pick up a win. Givens-Jensen and Chan came close in a 5-7 bout, and the Ghazaryan/Weeldreyer (3-6) combo made a serious effort, as did Monroy and Alvarez-Sanabria (2-6).
“It was a tough day with tough conditions,” said Head Coach Joey Barnes. “The wind and chill worked against us.”
The Redhawks hope to right the ship in their next conference match, when they face Kansas City at the Amy Yee Tennis Center on April 12. Play is scheduled to begin at 8:30 AM.
Seattle U vs. UT Rio Grande Valley
March 31, 2019 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Center)
UT Rio Grande Valley 7, Seattle U 0
1. de Felipe Garcia, Samuel (UTRGV) def. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kaufman, Yehonatan (UTRGV) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Hutchings, George (UTRGV) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Sarradin, Clement (UTRGV) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 5-7, 6-0, 10-8
5. Williams, Te Kani (UTRGV) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kohrs, Zane (UTRGV) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kohrs, Zane/de Felipe Garcia, Samuel (UTRGV) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-3
2. Hutchings, George/Kaufman, Yehonatan (UTRGV) def. Monroy, Emilio/Alvarez-Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 6-2
3. Sarradin, Clement/Schmit, Mateo (UTRGV) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy/Chan, Alex (SU) 7-5
Seattle U 4-9, 0-2 WAC
UT Rio Grande Valley 4-17, 1-2 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,5,2,1,4)